23.02.2015 - 24.02.2015 | London, UK
Workshop on 'EU-Kazakhstan Cooperation in Research, Innovation and Investment'
Using the opportunity that on 23-25 February 2015 a high-level delegation from Kazakhstan headed by the Prime Minister participated in the Global Law Summit in London, the Kazakh Ministry for Investment and Development organised special workshop to discuss 'EU-Kazakhstan Cooperation in Ressearch, Innovation and Investment'. The main objective of the workshop was to discuss the possibilities of enhancing cooperation in the fields of research, technological development and innovation.
The workshop was organised in cooperation with the National Coordinator of the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation 'Horizon 2020' in Kazakhstan and 'NATD' JSC with the support of the EU project IncoNet CA, and the global law firm Norton Rose Fulbright. Particular attention was paid to attracting investment in innovative development of the industry of Kazakhstan, as well as joint participation in innovation and technology programs on both sides, e.g. Horizon 2020, and the Kazakh Technology Targeted Programmes.
Mr. Asset Issekeshev, Minister for Investment and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan | © Sulushash Magziyeva
The workshop was attended by 123 people, representatives of the European Commission, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills of the UK, the British Embassy to Kazakhstan, the Embassy of Kazakhstan in UK, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, as well as ministries, departments, agencies, investment companies, international organizations, banks, national companies, research institutions, universities, small and medium enterprises from 14 countries, such as Austria, England, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Poland, Russia, the United States, France, Switzerland, Scotland and Kazakhstan.
On the eve of the workshop, 23 February 2015, a welcome reception was given on behalf of the Minister for Investment and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Asset Issekeshev. The reception was attended by all the registered participants. Minister Asset Issekeshev gave a welcoming speech, emphasizing the special role of the new State Program of Industrial and Innovation Development to strengthen cooperation with the European Union in all priority areas of the Programme, and wished all participants a successful seminar.
During the reception, Mr. Asset Issekeshev held a series of talks with the representatives of the banks and the largest investment companies in the UK, the European Bank for Development and Reconstruction, representatives of public and private institutions of the EU. Minister Issekeshev was introduced a project on Safer Internet technology Boobook, developed by European and Kazakh companies headed by Kazakh scientist, Iskendir Syrgabekov.
Paticipants ath the EU-Kazakhstan Cooperation Workshop in London | © Sulushash Magziyeva
Other highlights of the workshop:
- Mr. Struan Stevenson, Ex-Member of the European Parliament, started the workshop on the 24th February with a key-note on The Role of Kazakhstan in the Modern World.
- Mr. Zhumatai Salimov, Deputy Chairman of the Board 'National Agency for Technological Development' JSC talked about 'The development of Innovation in Kazakhstan and cooperation opportunities (2010-2014)'.
- Mr. Konstantinos Glinos, Director of the Department of Strategy for Cooperation with EFTA countries and EEA, as well as Russia, Asia and the Pacific region of the Directorate General for Research and Innovation of the European Commission, presented cooperation opportunities between the EU and Republic of Kazakhstan under the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation 'Horizon 2020'.
- Mr. George Bonas, Director of the Center for Regional and International STI Studies and Support (CeRISS, Athens, Greece), Project Coordinator of IncoNet-CA, gave a presentation on 'International cooperation network for STI and SMEs, to support the cooperation between the EU and Kazakhstan'.
- Mr. Anker Sorensen, Vice President of Keygene (Netherlands), presented a successful cooperation project between the EU and the Republic of Kazakhstan in the field of new technologies: EU-PEARLS was funded between 2008 and 2012 by the European Commission in the Seventh Framework Programme and researched alternative rubber and latex sources.
- Mr. Agris Preimanis, Chief Economist for Central Asia of the European Bank for Development and Reconstruction, talked about 'New external pressures creating opportunities for investment in innovation in Kazakhstan'.
- Mr. James K. Jubilee, Head of the International Science and Technology Centre in Kazakhstan made a presentation on 'The new role of the ISTC in Kazakhstan', including the relocation of the ISTC headquaters to Astana..
- Ms. Laura Robinson, Head of the Department for Cooperation with India, Central Asia and Africa of the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills held a presentation on the 'Newton-Al-Farabi Partnership Programme'.
- Ms. Raushan Tulepbayeva, Deputy Chairman of the Investment Committee of the Ministry for Investment and Development of the RK, presented the 'State Programme of Industrial and Innovation Development for 2015-2020'.
- Mr. Borisbiy Zhangurazov, Chairman of the National Agency for Export and Investment 'KAZNEX INVEST' talked about the 'New investment climate in Kazakhstan'.
- Mr. Timur Toktabaev, Chairman of the Committee of Geology of the Ministry for Investment and Development, spoke about investment opportunities in the mining industry in Kazakhstan.
- Mr. Askar Sembin, Deputy Director General of the Autonomous Cluster Fund, reported about the Development of Autonomous Cluster Fund in Kazakhstan and the possibility of cooperation with the EU.
- Mr. Leonardo Piccinetti, Director Europe for Business Ltd, (UK), explained the mobility programmes of 'Horizon 2020' in his presentation 'Horizon 2020: Support to cluster development.Cooperation with Kazakhstan in mobility'.
- Mr. Simon Rickman, Air Astana's newly appointed sales manager for the UK and Ireland gave a short report on 'How Air Astana support investors in Kazakhstan'.
Dr. Kamila Magzieva, PhD
Director InExCB-KZ | National Coordinator H2020 NCP-KZ
Inclusive, innovative and reflective societies NCP-KZ
Spreading excellence and widening participation NCP-KZ
Science with and for Society NCP-KZ
Jandosov str. 51, office 707
Tel/Fax: +7 727 303 65 39;
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com